Friday, July 12, 2013

Dear Nana

Dear Nana,

Happy Birthday! I miss you, every day I miss you, but today especially. July is full of birthdays for our family, and yours doesn't get missed. I didn't even realize today was July 12 until steph texted me and reminded me. You've since been on my mind all day. If you were still here I bet you would go shopping with mom and the girls, and you'd probably get a milkshake from Carls Jr. We would probably go to lunch at Olive Garden, and then have everyone up at the house for dinner and swimming. Matthew and Dennis would probably be grilling something delicious, and of course we would eat outside. I can picture you sitting in a seat that gives you a view of everything, and I can smell the rhubarb pie and white wine. That's how I remember you, happy, at home, with your family around you - and of course surrounded by great food. I remember you healthy. I am grateful to have so many wonderful and happy memories of you that they far outweigh the so few memories of you being sick.

Our crew would be so much larger now. Nikki, Logan, Nate, Emmy, Landon, Sadie, Hudson, and Chloe would have made the party something special. Emmy would love to sing Happy Birthday  to you! I'm glad we were able to spend so many birthdays together, I can't tell you how much I wish I would have cherished those days more. It's hard to imagine what life would be like now, what grandpa would be like. Somewhere inside of him, somewhere deep in his confused mind he misses you more than any of us know, and I know you and grandpa, and the rest of us, will someday be reunited - and we can all share an eternity of birthdays together.

Until then, I love you just the same as I always have. Happy Birthday my sweet, sweet Nana.

Love, Michelle.

No comments: